My name is Ben Bright and I am available for contract computer work.
I have 20 years of professional experience working with talented teams to develop easy to find, fun to use, value driven, robust, beautiful websites and related tools.
You can leave me a phone message at 512-653-8746 or send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Custom WordPress CMS and E-commerce solutions
- Responsive Design & Mobile First Development
- Workflow automation and optimization
- Unix hosting management for web, database, e‑commerce and e‑mail
- Fluent in programming, design, rollout and maintenance of Internet projects
- Advanced experience with configuration and administration of hardware, software and network solutions
- Advocate of organic search engine optimization, website analytics, security auditing, smart caching, server scalability and speed, speed, speed
- Linux, iOS, OSX, Windows
- Vim, Apache & NGINX Web Servers, mySQL Database, Cyrus IMAP, SVN, CVS, Sendmail, SpamAssassin, SSL/SSH/SCP, Shorewall, Nagios, Nessus, Bind (DNS), Gimp, ImageMagick, Quickbooks, the GNU tools and a quiver of other applications, plugins and utilities as-needed
Chief Technology Officer, 2001 – Present
- Contract network computing work, including web interface design, business workflow/data modeling and network architecture
- Responsible for 24/7/365 uptime of network services
- Responsible for implementation of development projects
- Partial list of Seedling Online projects
- Artists for Media Diversity » WordPress based e-commerce and promotional website for non-profit organization. Includes a system for registration and sale of mp3 media files by affiliated organizations.
- Ruby’s BBQ » WordPress based web site to support restaurant promotion and accept catering and delivery orders.
- Sparrow’s Wheel » WordPress based musician website. Includes shopping cart with digital and physical product delivery options.
- Poetry Matters Now » WordPress based website promoting documentary film making. Includes extensive use of AJAX to enhance navigation.
- Cindy Cashdollar » PHP/mySQL backed web site and intranet in support of a nationally touring musician.
- NuStats, Inc. » PHP/mySQL backed intranet tools for production use in projects doing statistical sampling for NOAA fisheries research and city transit systems. Included Windows/Linux/Palm Pilot integration and attention to process improvement with respect to both efficiency and accuracy of data processing.
- Old Settler’s Music Festival » PHP/mySQL backed web site redesign in support of festival promotion and e-commerce ticket sales. Included a new look and feel, attention to standards compliance and low-bandwidth users.
Senior Engineer, 1999 – 2001
- Responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining a production web application for K-12 education administration
- » GUI Design for SchoolPeople platform
- » Implemented network architectures for premier client sites and internal company needs
- » Worked with a team of 5 engineers to port existing applications into a J2EE production environment
- » Technical lead for Dell Education Alliance relationship
- » Successfully delivered PHP/mySQL product for 2 SchoolPeople Beta Districts for 1999-2000 school year
- » Successfully delivered JSP/Java/Postgres/LDAP backed product for 4 SchoolPeople Premier School Districts for 2000-2001 school year
- » Supported sales efforts with training, product demos, documentation, status reports and sanity/reality-checks
Shoal Crest Labs, Inc.
President & CTO, 1995 – 1999
- Contract network computing work, from hardware configuration to database implementation to web interface design
- Web site design and maintenance for a variety of corporate and private clients
- Partial list of Shoal Crest Labs projects
- Orthopaedics International » Windows NT/95 network design and build-out for a 25-person office
- Northwest Florida Daily News » Designed and implemented a Perl-based web-publishing engine which allows the paper to automatically publish existing articles and photos to their web site on a daily basis
Trilogy Development Group
- Ported software from Windows 3.1 to OS/2, Motif and Macintosh
- Created build system with built-in regression testing
- Tested, reported and debugged software
Junior Engineer, 1994
- Configured TCP/IP based consumer test environments
- Programmed test suites for Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) and Online Transaction Processing (OLTP) products
Desert Medical Equipment
- Created Paradox Database application to manage inventory and insurance form submissions
- 1995 All but Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science, University of Texas at Austin
- 1992 Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics & English Literature from Vanderbilt University
- 1991 Studied Mathematics & English Literature at Leeds University, Leeds, England